SPECIAL NOTICE - THIS BLOG HAS BEEN MOVED

The latest posts and all old posts from this blog have been moved -- http://promo101tips.wordpress.com Please visit us there for the most up to date promotional ideas, tips and articles.

Friday, April 4, 2008

Promote in the Real World

Even in this technological age, we can promote books face to face with potential readers. I don’t know about you, but I love to see a reader’s face light up when they talk about my books or my characters. That light in their eyes can be hard to convey in an e-mail or on a message board.

Book stores and other retail outlets can be good places to promote your books. Libraries in some areas may purchase your books to place on their shelves. Other libraries offer classes or chances for authors to speak and the public is invited. Libraries are a natural place to attract readers and to promote your books. I walked into my local library earlier this spring and the librarian recognized my name. She said, “You are a new published author.” The people standing close by turned to look at me. It was like being a kid in a candy store.

Bookstores and libraries are not the only place to promote your books and we’ll discuss other alternatives. They won’t all work for you, but consider who you know, where you shop and the clientele each business attracts. Are they individuals who would like to read your book? It is very possible.

Writer’s conferences are a great way to meet readers and other authors. I recently met one of my favorite authors and discovered a couple of new favorites. These events usually need volunteers, program moderators and authors to give speeches, to participate on panels among other things. These opportunities provide free promotion for your books.

Craft shows are another way to get the word out and to meet new potential readers. I will share a couple of wonderful resources to help you find craft shows and similar events in your area. Once you find a craft show, there are ways to make the most of the event. We’ll discuss ways to get the most out of the shows.

There are almost an unlimited number of ways to promote your books and we’ll discuss many of them. If you have any specific questions, feel free to visit the promotional forum and post your thoughts or questions. I look forward to seeing you there.


No comments:

Post a Comment